Hunter's Run Conservancy District was incorporated in 1952 as a political subdivision under Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 6101. The District was created in response to numerous years of flooding in the Hunter's Run and Upper Hocking Watershed, with the last flood occurring in 1948.
Construction of all the dams was completed by 1961. The District originally consisted of eight flood control dams and twenty-two sediment control structures. Two of those sediment control structures have been removed from the District's operation.
The Hunter's Run dams control fifty-percent of the runoff that flows through Lancaster within the Upper Hocking Watershed. See the map below for the location of the various structures. The watershed extends from the confluence of Hunter's Run and the Hocking River near Cenci Park in an area bounded by State Route 158 north to Dumontville and west on US 22 to Delmont Rd, then north in an area bounded by Rock Mill Rd and Amanda Northern Rd.
In addition to the farms, homes and businesses in the flood plain, numerous bridges and several miles of roadway are protected by these structures.
The Fairfield County Common Pleas Court established the Hunter’s Run Conservancy District (HRCD) in March 1952. The primary purpose for forming the HRCD was to act as the local sponsor to implement the Work Plan prepared by the U.S Department of Agriculture – Soil Conservation Service (SCS) for the 49 square mile Hunter’s Run and Upper Hocking watershed located in Fairfield County. The May 1954 Work Plan as amended called for the construction of eight flood control structures and twenty-two sedimentation control structures, to:
• Reduce and retain potential flood waters
• Reduce soil erosion and sediment transport
• Improve local economic conditions
The twenty-eight structures, currently owned and operated by HRCD, were completed between 1954 and 1960. It should be noted that HRCD owns only the dam structure and does not own the land upon which they are built. The District holds easements for the normal pool of water and the elevation of the flood pool. The only exception would be the land surrounding Dam No.4 on Stonewall Cemetery Road that is owned by the District.